This kit now includes pre-soldered wiring, a variable speed cooling fan and auto bed leveling!
The perfect kit to get you started with 3D Printing! High quality, cost effective 3D Printing! If you want to print you 5 year old daughter her favorite doll or your latest design at the office then this kit is for you.
This kit is based on the popular Prusa i3 RepRap 3D printer design. Improvements were made to the design by our mechanical engineer to make assembly easier and increase accuracy. This kit includes everything you need to start printing except the 12V power supply and the plastic filament. The LCD screen shown in the pictures are not included in the kit, but the mounting hardware to mount the LCD screen is included in every kit, should you want to upgrade at a later stage.
The lead screw upgrade is an optional upgrade. It will not increase the accuracy of your prints, but it will make your printer more sturdy, more reliable and last longer. For more information about this upgrade, please click here.
The dual extruder kit allows you to print 2 different colours in one model or 2 different materials in one model. This open a whole new world of possibilities! For more information about this upgrade, please click here.
- Basic technical knowledge and patience.
- Basic tools to assemble the kit: Screw drivers, allen keys, spanners, sharp nose pliers, side cutter. All the wiring are done for you, you can just plug and play!
- Power supply capable of delivering a minimum of 12V, 18A DC current. You can add a switch mode power supply to your order or buy a PC powers supply from a computer store.
- The 12V Power Supply Kit includes a 12V, 18A Switch Mode Power Supply to run the printer as well as the mouning hardware, cables and connectors to power your 3D Printer.
- PC or Mac to control the printer.
- CAD software, if you want to design your own components to print.
- Build volume: 200 x 200 x 240mm (width x depth x height)
- Printer size: 400 x 400 x 500mm (width x depth x height)
- Printer mass: 4.25kg
- Printing materials: ABS, PLA, Taulman Filaments, Flexible filament, HIPS, Wood filament, PVA and PC
- Filament diameter: 1.75mm
- All the wires are pre-soldered and made up with connectors to the correct length
- Heated bed: Yes
- Printing surface: Glass bed
- Auto bed leveling: Yes, included in standard kit
- Frame construction: Laser cut Perspex
- Linear guides: Chromed linear rods with linear bearings
- X & Y axis positioning: GT2 belt driven
- Z axis positioning: Precision stainless steel threaded rod with nut (Lead screw upgrade available)
- Stepper motors: NEMA 17, 1.8 & 0.9 Deg/Step
- Number of extruders: 1 (Can easily be upgraded to 2 extruders. Dual extruder upgrade available soon!)
- Extruder: Direct drive Minimalist Extruder
- Hot end: E3D metal hot end with 0.4mm nozzle
- Cooling fan: Yes, a variable speed cooling fan is included in the standard kit
- Layer height: 0.1 – 0.3mm
- Positioning accuracy: 10 micron
- Final part accuracy: 0.1 – 1mm (geometry and material dependent)
- Controller: Arduino MEGA 2560 with RAMPS 1.4 shield and A4988 stepper drivers
- Input file type: STL
- Controlling software: Repetier-Host, can also be used controlled with Cura, Simplify3D or similar software
- Slicing software: Cura, Slic3r or Simplify3D (Settings provided for all these software)
- Firmware: Marlin (Preloaded onto electronics)
- Power requirement: 12V, 18A DC (Maximum)
- Printing cost: R0.30 per CC of material & 100W (Average) of electricity
- Assembly instructions: Videos on YouTube
All the assembly instructions and videos are loaded onto a Mega Upload folder and can be found at this link.
- What is the function of the heated bed?
The heated bed heats up the building platform. It helps the plastic to stick to the building surface and reduces warping during printing.
- Is the LCD screen required for operation?
No, the LCD screen is not required for operation. It shows information during printing like the temperatures and how far the print has progressed. The only functionality it adds is to print from a SD card, which allows for off-line printing. This is very useful when you have a laptop which does not stay next to your printer or you want to run multiple printers from 1 PC.
- How long does it take to build this printer kit and how difficult is it?
It takes on average 1 day to build the printer, so it can easily be done over a weekend. It is easy to assemble this kit, because the videos provided will show you step by step how to build your printer. The videos will instruct you from the point where the box is opened till where you do your very first print.
- Do I need to buy the software to control the printer separately?
No, the software used to control the printer is free open source software (Repetier-Host) and are downloaded from the internet.
- Does the printer software work on other operating systems than Windows?
Yes, the software controlling the printer (Repetier-Host) works on Windows, Mac and Linux. You must just download the version for your operating system.
- How much can I print from 1 spool of filament?
This is always a very difficult question, because it totally depends on the size of the model being printed and the way it is printed. But to provide a guideline: A typical cell phone cover will take about 12cm^3 of material, so you will be able to print 60 cell phone covers from a 1kg spool of filament and will take 2 hours to print one cover (depending on your settings).
- What does the 12V Power Supply Kit include?
The 12V Power Supply Kit includes a 12V, 18A Switch Mode Power Supply capable of powering your 3D Printer as well as the mounting hardware, cables and connectors required for assembly.
- Can I upgrade my printer at a later stage?
Yes, the printer is designed in a modular way with future upgrades in mind. All the upgrades we release on the printer are compatible with all the printers we have sold in the past, so there is not a chance you will be left behind with old technology.
Terms & Conditions
Lead time is dependent on stock availability. Should we have stock available, orders placed and confirmed before 11AM will be dispatched the next day. Orders placed and confirmed after 11AM will be dispatched within 2 working days.
Should the product not be in stock please allow between 5 and 15 working days plus freight transit time. This will allow for manufacturing, packaging and delivery to our warehouse.
Every effort is made to effect shipment of your order timeously however unforeseen circumstances may cause delays. Should we be faced with such an occurrence TurboCAD Africa (turbocad.co.za) will contact you via email and provide a revised shipping schedule.
It can happen that we cannot supply a product at a price as advertised on our website due to aspects out of our control such as rapid fluctuation in the Rand/Dollar exchange rate. Should there be a problem with the advertised price or availability of a product as shown on our website, TurboCAD Africa (www.turbocad.co.za) is allowed to reject an order and refund any money already paid for this order.
When you click to make a purchase with us legal obligations arise and your right to refund of monies charged to your credit card or paid in any other way agreed by us, are limited by our terms & conditions. You must not make any purchase through www.turbocad.co.za unless you understand and agree all our terms and conditions. Once payment is made for the purchase, it is deemed that you have read and understood the terms and conditions for such purchase. If you have any queries please contact us before making any purchase for any service through www.turbocad.co.za.